Built in 1927, Hamilton International Middle School has become a historic landmark in the Seattle area, known for offering comprehensive classes in foreign language and global studies. The $44.68M renovation aimed to preserve the building’s shell while adding increased functionality to the school. New features include a gym, parking garage, outdoor recreation area, classrooms, lobby, performing arts studio and connection to nearby Wallingford Park. Because space is limited on the 2.1 acre site, the new paved play area is located on the roof of the parking garage.
The project included ADA-compliant pedestrian improvements for frontage streets and a stormwater detention vault located under the floor of the parking garage. Close interaction with the Seattle Parks and Recreation Department was required for the pedestrian connections to Wallingford Park. Due to the historical significance of the building, the surrounding neighborhood’s input was incorporated into the renovations.