This unique project represents advancement in environmental protection measures. The 8.9-acre site is located between Milton and Fife in unincorporated Pierce County, at the geographic center of an urban growth area. The private developer’s vision was to create a residential community using LID techniques as a demonstration project. The result illustrates that traditional planning principals can be adhered to in Low Impact Site Design; meet density requirements of the Growth Management Act; and provide key amenities that contribute to livable communities.
Significant LID features include:
- More than 48% of the site is Open Space.
- Wetland Buffers of over 150 feet will be revegetated and enhanced.
- Narrow roadway widths of 20 feet, including sidewalk (standard regulations require 36 feet).
- Use of roadside bioswales in lieu of traditional curb and gutter.
- Use of Low Impact Foundation Technology (LIFT) foundations on selected sites.
- Site design that follows natural contours to limit grading and soil disturbance.
- Retention of existing significant vegetation.